Thursday, June 14, 2007

The pain of a good birthday

People have been doing all sorts of nice things for my birthday. I got dvds I wanted (duplicate copies even) and taken for lunch and dinner. My husband made me potato skins that will actually take years off of my life. Ben even made me a picture of a pineapple because apparently, unbeknownst to me, it is my favourite fruit!
My friend Lisa gave me the gift of massage - not just one but two.
I've never had an hour of massage before - half hour max - an hour is a lot. And its also for pleasure too - not to fix something that's wrong with me. Which was nice.
So I went to meet Murray the not gay RMT and the Continuum Wellness Centre. Its one of those places painted in muted earth tones with the sound of tinkling waters in the background - uber classy really and super duper healthy. Made me feel a right schlub!
I carry my tension and my stress in my back right shoulder blade. If I was a bird (as Nellie Furtado sometimes is) it would be where my wing attached my body.
I remember before I got married being very stressed out and begging one of my bridesmaids to massage my back. She had me face down on the carpet at my parents house with her elbow in my "wing" and I was screaming in pain. She kept telling everyone to "feel the lump" - the lump of stress that was my personal pain!
Well, the wedding went away and so did the pain. From time to time I get tense and the lump comes back. It even came back when I switched from a PC to a laptop. At that point, Daisy Mae the RMT did theraputic massage and reciting 30 minute soliloques about her family. I felt is was pennance for something I did wrong in the past.
Yesterday Murray got his hands on my knot of tension - went directly to it and focused hard. He rubbed and rubbed - better to work it out rather than leave it he said - it will only get worse. At one point in the agony I heard something POP. And at another point I just asked him to stop. He used heat and oil and god knows what else but dammit that baby was going to go away!
I left feeling like a million dollars. My back was going to be fantastic. That tension knot was gone..
For about 3 hours.
Then it started to ache.
Today, I couldn't carry my purse on the right side. My back feels bruised. Battered perhaps. I feel as if I have been beaten hard with a stick! Beaten my a masseuse - who THEY say is not gay - named Murray. This cannot be.
My second massage isn't for two more weeks. I feel myself getting all tense about it - which is just going to make Murray angrier and more likely to want to get rid of it - and that just hurts.
Sometimes love hurts.
But I wish it didn't.

No comments: