Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Windsor Pride

This weekend was Windsor Pride. Its always hard as someone who is not actually gay to attend an event the purpose of which is to be proud of being gay. I mean - I would if I could but I can't. Not really. And its not like I'm a PFLAG Mom. I'm just an old fashioned Fag Hag with gay friends coming out my asshole - which is somewhat appropriate - don't you think?
My Mother, back in the day, hypothesized that there should be no gay pride day/week/parade until there was a straight pride. I disagree. No one ever got the shit kicked out of them for being heterosexual.
So what's it like? Like being invited to a party bringing all the food and being asked to enter by the back way.
What was this pride like?
It was okay. Just okay. There was a lot of shit flying through the air and some stuck and some didn't. Too vague?
Okay - Friday at the Armouries broke my heart. Dinner before was brilliant - I was allowed to indulge my Dan mojo - for those of you playing along I remain smitten by this boys charm and like oh - psyche sparkle - its pathetic really. I allowed my worlds to collide introducing new friends to old - and amazingly no one died. What broke my heart was that my friend Rick had worked so incredibly hard to put this thing on and the place was deserted. It was very sad.
Sometimes when we promote Pride events we need to branch out people and just promote the fucking event as an event that will be amazing even if you aren't gay. Gheesh.
Saturday was incredibly cool as we were recruited to pick up the evening's host - a gorgeous Drag Queen named Miss Conception. But when we picked him up at the train - he was Kevin.
Kevin and his fiance Daniel were incredibly nice - we clicked right away. We had an amazing day and just enjoyed his company so very much. He put on a fantastic show - I was so impressed!
The highlight of my night was the incredible Carole Pope. I idolize Carole - Rough Trade was insane and she did not disappoint at all in spite of being sick. I had my photo taken with Carole and friends and I am so sick with excitement to see it - she does look about 1000 years old but what the fuck - some day we all will! She totally rocked the house - Diva Bitch she was! And I got her autograph on my copy of Anti Diva! Holy crap.
Oh - not that I forgot - Dan read an incredibly smart poem to the super enhused crowd. I was just purple with pride - not for gay pride but for my FRIEND. How amazingly talented this guy is. Hearing poetry is totally different from reading it people - its the difference between hearing a song sung and reading lyrics on an album liner- it changes everything.
Sunday was Sunday. Too much pride crap and I hit the wall - way too much for one weekend. And, as sad ass as this is - it would had been better if I had been drunk. But I wasn't.
I'm not sure that I want to talk about it here - I know I don't in fact and I won't (if its that important for you to know - email me your questions!) - but it was a weird day for me. I had issues with people place and circumstance. Crap happened. Enough said.
Thank holyshitjesuschrist its over (I stole that from a book I just read - and I intend on continuing to steal it).
So Windsor - home of my future - I enjoyed your Pride - now fuck off and forget about the whole weekend. Okay?

1 comment:

Another Apartment in Blogville. said...

Hm..indeed. Windsor Pride. I was PISSED that the Golden Hands show was so dead. UGH. I swear, sometimes if there aren't glowsticks, rainbow flags and techno music bumping, no one gives a fuck. what a great space the armories was! it's a shame more didn't come.