Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I read the news today - oh boy.

Its funny isn't it - how news comes to us.
Today I got many emails, a couple of phone calls - some IMs and some posts on facebook and read a few messages on myspace. Lots of news. Lots of people in my life- its funny how they come and go.
I love when you sign on to email and it says there is a new message. Even if its just Amazon saything that my order has shipped - it shippped! WOW.
But, more than that, I love the blip of IM. That sound - that prescious sound - telling you someone is saying something to you - RIGHT NOW. Whether its written or spoken its conversation and isn't it amazing?
Today I got an email from a friend on the other side of the universe saying that his mother is dying. She has inoperable brain cancer and 3 months to get her affairs in order. I felt so awful for him. So awful for his mom.
How hard was it for him to write this email? Was it as hard as it was for me to read it?
It took me a while to write back - what do you say to that?
What I said was this:
You poor thing. I'm so sorry for you - your family and your Mom to have your time together cut short. Its cruel. I've been through one of the doctor count downs with my Dad and it sucks. They gave you a gift. They have given you time - and don't waste it. Do your mother a favour and tell her whenever you can how much she means to you - how much you've learned from her and how much you love her. Don't wait until its "the end". Life isn't like tv - sometimes there isn't a big farewell scene where everyone makes their peace. Use your time wisely and love her a lot - you won't get another chance. If you need me - want me - or help - please call.
I've done both deaths with my parents - the long drawn out 6 month farwell where I did just as I said there - told my dad all that I could and showed him how much he meant to me. And I did the sudden death - where I regret each day not telling my Mom that she was the best Mom ever and the perfect Mom for me. Both were awful.
Its important to us all to tell everyone that we care about how much we care for them whenever we have the chance and to value people as our life happens. Life IS NOT tv. There are no Gilmour Girls wordy protestations of love - you just have to take your chances as the moments come.
When the email beeps and the IM makes its blip - I'm excited. Because these people are people that I care about - okay - maybe not Amazon - but still. Thank you for emailing me people - even those f-ing chain emails are okay with me.
And I'm sorry so so sorry for my friend and for his Mom - I hope they use their time wisely.

No comments: