Friday, July 20, 2007

Six reasons why Facebook is Weird by Sandra

Facebook is weird - and these are the six reasons why I think that. Lets start out by saying, my friends on facebook are people I actually know. Like my cousins. And my old neighbours. And people from highschool. And my actual friends.

1. My husband has a facebook and is friends with my friends. As George would say "worlds collide". Just makes me a little nuts. Especially when I say something to one of my friends and they reply - "oh I know, Wayne told me. we're friends - facebook friends!" Of COURSE it was a lie! Of course - but it was mighty disturbing anyway!

2. My old neighbour's husband facebooked me and added me as a friend - I couldn't see how I could say no. Now I see his updates about going home to "get on the right end of a fatty" and I worry more about what a terrible father he is to his 4 kids then I used to. Then I see his "notes" where he talks about what a terrible father he is and how his whole life is falling apart. And so now I worry about his wife - my friend. Am I allowed to call her and ask if everything is okay? Or is that cheating? Is it spying on people - if they come right out and SAY that they are upset and hurt to cross over from facebook friend to real friend and try to call them and see if you can help???? Where is the line people?

3. I'm friends with my cousin - who on facebook lists her interests as "women". Now we have long suspected she may in fact be a lesbian but do I now know that she is? Am I allowed to acknowledge it as if she has TOLD me that she is? Can I come out and say - I love you no matter what and if you need support - I'm here for you - or is that crossing the line from facebook reality to regular reality? Do I have to pretend not to know until she tells me?

4. I'm friends with my friends in real life on facebook. I don't live in the same city with them. I don't live in their pockets. Yet, I don't have to ask them what they are doing -- because there are events and they have signed up saying they are going.....and status updates tell me their every move. Is she on vacation? Is he in the garden? Is he at work? Is he at home faking sick while eating corn chips and masturbating? I KNOW this info whether I want to or not.

5. My sister in law is a facebook friend. She is still my sister in law as she and my brother are not yet divorced. Its nice - lets me see pictures of the kids and all.....but - then there was the update to her relationship status! "Tracy is in a relationship". Okay - with WHO? Can I ask that? Can I send her an email saying "yay for you!" Where is the line? Or do I do what I did and just pretend to have my hands over my ears and sing lallalalalalalala....

6. Facebook put me in touch with an old boyfriend. My first boyfriend. My first kiss. Pretty weird to reconnect after 25 years. Tonight I got a message from him apologizing for taking advantage of me - in a good way - he said that he was sorry for not appreciating that I wanted to be with him because now he finally sees "what a gift that was"- and sorry for the way things ended. He was happy I found someone better than him.
Now people, that shouldn't REALLY happen. That kind of shit - that full circle tie up loose ends shit - that happend in books. Not in real life. But, thanks to facebook - I have a novel ending to that horrific chapter in my life. Its probably a good thing for my self esteem but frankly it doesn't make it any less WEIRD!

And those are my reasons.

No comments: