Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Siiiiiiilent Night - Hooooooly Night

Today is Christmas. Yes it is. It comes every year whether you are ready or not. It brings with it an abundance of gift cards and too much food. Usually there is a family fight or two - just for good measure. This year at my house (and my Mother in Law's house) - no fights. All was calm. All was bright.
But, the day, for me at least, was not without controversy. In fact, I think I had a couple of major epiphanies. Silent ones that I kept to myself - but major nonetheless.
Our dinner conversation - and after dinner conversation this year centred on multicultural Canada and the celebration of religious holidays.
Now you see, the more I work with people who are new to Canada, it is my firm belief that Christmas as we know it is shyly disappearing all around us. The more we accept that Christianity is not the ONLY religion in this country, the less acceptable it is going to be that every last place in the universe save the Hasty Market is closed for 24 full hours.
Our whole retail system in the country is set up to encourage Christmas shopping by everyone far and wide whatever your religion and bargains bargains bargains know no secular prejudice.
To me this started with the shift to "happy holidays" and the disappearance of the Christmas tree. I don't disagree with respecting other cultures. Why should my religion dictate if you can buy KFC on a Tuesday. Okay - well, you shouldn't ever buy KFC but it was the first place that came to mind.
My husband thinks I'm insane. He said that it is a slippery slope and if we follow my point of view soon the insurance company will be insisting that he service insurance needs 24/7/365.
My Mother In Law (henceforth known as MIL) said that this country was formed on Christian beliefs and if you want to be here you better tow the line. Um - hello - did you not immigrate here lady? Um yeah. That's what I thought.
I pointed out that we are not a country of majority rule but one that accepts the faith of many. But in her mind it is he who yells loudest and the Christians have a mighty bellow.
My brother in law said nothing. That's his thing.
But - I walked away from the conversation (metaphorically of course) - MIL and husband continued to agree with each other for HOURS!
The epiphany in this gem - stubborn people don't listen. Not one bit. Don't even try.
Before that though - there was dinner itself!
I've been a vegetarian for what - a heartbeat - 2 months of my 41 1/2 years....barely anytime at all. Definitely not long enough to have established my vegetarian "rules".
Basically, I am fuelled by the righteous indignation of other vegetarians. I haven't established my "horror" points. Until, that is, tonight. Tonight, I, the only vegetarian in the house, was forced against her will to carve not only the turkey but the ham as well. UGH.
I know that I'm good at shit like that. I'm a fat girl who watches the food network. I can carve a turkey like a professional chef. But, just because you're good at something doesn't mean you have to do it.
I tried protesting. And again, this entered me into the great - "why are you a vegetarian anyway" debate.
I just am, I said. I just am.
Why is that never enough?
My husband says - "I am the one who suggested we eat less meat" "I am the one who said we should cut down on beef" "I don't understand why you think this is important NOW - all of the sudden" "I think its silly to have so many rules"
My MIL says "Are you doing this to lose weight - because it won't do you any favours" No. "But you still eat butter right?" No. "But eggs - right?" No. "Well you love ham - why not just try the ham?" No thanks.
And then both chime in on a lecture on MODERATION.
Why can't you just eat meat in moderation? Why can't you just try to cut back? If you just had a little of everything......?
I JUST DON'T EAT MEAT ANYMORE - THAT MEANS CHICKEN AND TURKEY AND HAM TOO AND NO I DON'T EAT EGGS AND I CAN'T THINK OF THE LAST TIME I HAD MILK AND OH MY GOD I DON'T EVEN WANT TO EAT CHEESE NOW - I JUST DON'T. NO I DON'T. PLEASE STOP TALKING TO ME ABOUT IT.
The Epiphany in this you ask?
My food. My business.
I will go to your house and eat what I want from what you serve. If there is nothing I can eat - I will eat nothing. End of.
This is not up for debate.
This is just how it is.
So what have we learned here today people on day that Santa throws Jesus a birthday party? We learned that people are who they are - can't change it - don't even try. That's the best way to keep that silent night silent and that holy night full of holes.
HO HO HO

1 comment:

Another Apartment in Blogville. said...

I too was in the midst of the "Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays" debate - and it was also thrown out that "If yer in Canada then GOD DAMMIT - yer gonna god damn say Merry Christmas dammit anyway!"
I as a rule, usually say "Happy Holidays". Just cuz. Personally..even though i COMPLETELY see the point...i think of "Christmas" - the word - as secular. Sure, based and born in christianity, but it has become as Secular as Santa Claus.
Halloween - a day i celebrate - does not make me a pagan. It means i get to go out in public in drag and not be murdered with a heavy, blunt object. It means i can watch horror movies and not be screamed at to turn the film off. it means i can carve up pumpkins and listen to Monster Mash. But Paganism?? What's that!??! "Happy Halloween!" i say happily as I walk down the street. Religion never crosses my mind. I might say the same thing has happened to St. Patrick's Day. Let's face it - St. Patrick's Day is one part "Guiness marketing day" and the rest is "Get fucked up on whatever kind of alcohol you can get your hands on" day. Do i know the story of St. Patrick? Hell no. No idea. And I was baptized Catholic so it's ESPECIALLY bad. But i celebrate ST. Patrick's Day. In fact - i try to celebrate St. Patrick's Day a little bit EVERY day if possible.
As for the day off...I think this is where the other culture's - bless them - need to just hush and keep it quiet. Take the FUCKING day off and SHUT UP! Hell - i'll GLADLY push to make ANY day of the year a "day off". What can i do so i don't have to work on Quansa? Who do i have to blow to get a day off for Hannaka? Where is the petition?? The more days off -t he better. If they proclaim from this day forward "January 19th is NATIONAL DEFEND THE FAMILY AND STOP GAY MARRIAGE DAY" - i may very well keep it hush hush and just enjoy the day off...
now i'm rambling...but i feel your pain...that can be a WILD debate. and like you - many of my relatives sat and "agreed" with each other for hours while i stared at my veggie loaf and celebrated Saint Patrick's Day, even if only in my dreams.