Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Book

I've bought myself a journal. A paper one. To write stuff down.
Lately, I've found myself writing on the backs of envelopes I've got in my purse or bits of paper headed to recycling. Not prolific introductions for the GREAT CANADIAN NOVEL - but just thoughts and stuff and observations.
I know I have TWO blogs. One here - and one on myspace. And, I could most likely write stuff on facebook if I was so inclined. I also have a couple of friends through which email has become a wonderful exchange of ideas. But I have this obsessive need to write what no one can see but me.
And - to write it with a pen!
I medium blue ballpoint pen. Not a clicky pen, because I play with those. Not a fine pen because I tend to press too hard and wreck the paper. Just a plain old bic pen. On paper. And I will keep it to myself.
It feels like I'm doing something wrong in a "the kids are in bed lets have another gin and tonic" kind of way.
Do you keep a journal?
I wonder who does.
Did you keep one as a kid?
I always did. Up to my 20s really. Then I lost interest in recording what I felt as closely. I felt like I had to live life instead of write it down. I am the same way about pictures. Sometimes it feels more important to forget about making a photo essay about "family trip to the park" and just enjoy the park.
I have been writing a lot lately though. And I think I'm feeling a lot more confident with my stuff. I have a few great friends who helped me out a lot - said nice things - and some not nice things - and pushed me in a direction or two that I want to go.
I'm going to start writing grant proposals for my kid's school - to beg for money for little things like library books and air conditioning. I figure if all it does is improve my typing speed - I'm good. But its writing something.
But not on paper. Paper and pen I'm saving for myself.

2 comments:

Melicious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melicious said...

It's just not the same when you type it - I keep a paper journal too. One is transient, all the current gripes and whines, and another which has kept up with the major events over the last 20 years, and is running out of room. It's BIG if it goes in that journal.