Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Actual Sound Track of the Movie of My Life

Dan's challenge to me from his comment on my last blog was this:
If you had to pick and compile the "Soundtrack to the Movie of your LIfe" album...and it COULD be a double...please specify the opening song and the closer-credits song.
I would start the Album out with "I think I love you" not the David Cassidy alone version - but the Partridge Family Version. Because so much of my early dealings with music came from tv - Donny & Marie, Captain & Tennille, Sonny & Cher - I would put in a nice 1970s sitcom theme song medley - there was rarely a time in our house when the tv was NOT on.

From there I would add in snippets from those K-tel albums - Brandy, you're a fine girl, When the lights all went out in Massachusetts...Maggie May - who doesn't love just a little Rod Stewart. And I have a love of Melissa Manchester and Barry Manilow that is both unexplainable and disturbing but must be acknowledged.

Next we would have the songs of high school - Rough Trade's High School Confidential, Romantic Traffic from the Spoons, Wham, Depeche Mode, Yaz, the Eurythmics and of course Duran Duran. And I'll always have a soft spot for Elton John's "I guess that's why they call it the blues" (particularly bad dumping by a boy who NEVER deserved me). I was never a metal fan - none of that crap. I used to say I didn't enjoy music that had guitars.

From the time when I started University we could add in Tears for Fears, Everybody wants to rule the world, Everything But the Girl and Small town boy - that was Bronski Beat - right? Intersperse some bits and pieces of British 80s invasion pop - Style Council, Housemartins, Boy George and Culture Club and Madness. Love, Love will tear us apart, again...

I developed a love of dancing and shook my groove thing to Divine - You think You're a Man - and Dead or Alive Spun me Right Round baby like a record baby right round round round. And I would have been a different person all together had Lisa and I not sung Janet Jackson's entire Control album into our curling irons - so we'll put on Control.

When I moved to Toronto I discovered the joy of live music and the soundtrack would contain live, in concert recordings from the long gone likes of the Razorbacks, the Skydiggers, the Waltons and the Lowest of the Low - Life's a bitch for the eternal fatalist....And since I saw Blue Rodeo in concert over 100 times (no - I am not kidding) I would have to add in a few of theirs: of course Try and maybe something from Tremolo.

Through my Blue Rodeo journey I discovered Barenaked Ladies - and I really do just love them - I'd be hard pressed to pick just a few songs - but I like their ballads - NOT the If I had a million dollars/chimpanzees stuff. Definitely "Any other guy", "in the car" and "half a heart"

From there I did a whole range of pop-y stuff from the Radio. I went through some angry sad girl rock - Allanis Morrisette screamed for me - and Jann Arden made me sad. I'd definitely have "Good Mother" on the soundtrack of my life.

One thing that is not ever no never on my CD is Jazz....I hate jazz in all its many forms - no jazz....never.

In the last couple of years I'd add quite a few things to the end of the CD (wow its a huge CD!):
  • Cold Play - Fix You (because its a song about good friends and people who love you)
  • Cry me a River - the Cliks (cause boys sometimes suck ass and that's good to remember)
  • Calendar Girl - Stars (which I am sure was written expressly for me and speaks totally about my cancer journey)

The big album closer is this - its Barenaked Ladies - For You

"If I hide myself where ever I go

Am I ever really there"

I don't think its a song about me or one that is universally loved - but I know its a song that reflects how my insides feel when I'm alone. Its SO SO SO important for me to be myself - and as much as I know it - I constantly forget it. And I need to constantly remind myself to stay present - in the moment - enjoy what I have - and to not hide myself wherever I go.


P.S. I forgot Robbie Williams and the Philosopher Kings.

1 comment:

lisa g. said...

i wonder why we never got any gigs performing the songs of ms. jackson?...i think we were damn good!