Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Riding the Bus

I try to do my part. Right? We all should. Save the planet and all that shit.
I recycle - paper, cans, bottles, boxes - all that shit.
I crush up the egg shells and blend them with coffee grounds and sprinkle them in the garden.
I compost all of my banana peels and veggie scraps and hubby's meat bones. All of the above.
Today I had a meeting out of town - and I had to drive. Drive all across the gta from Scarborough to Brampton. Almost 300 km in one day. That, my friends, is insane.
Why?
Because it was $1.221 a litre for gas. My trip today used about half a tank of gas. That is wrong for so many reasons.
So, me being the quintessential enviro-friendly cheapskate, I decided to take the second half of my day's journey (Scarborough to downtown Toronto) via good ole public transit.
I parked the car at Scarborough Towne Centre. That meant the RT to the Subway, switch trains, take another train and walk to the doctor's office. MUCH easier than getting in the car and driving the 30 minutes downtown. Much more environmentally friendly. Much cheaper.
I had forgotten how creepy it is on the subway.
Mostly, when I am sequestered in my van, I know that all the people I am riding with, mainly me, have had a shower and brushed their teeth. When on the subway, this is not the case.
We were, quite literally wedged into the trains. Squeezed in with not enough oxygen per person. Remind me that I am not doing enough to plug up the ozone layer.... And people on top of people on top of smells and textures and stench and horror of faces and colours and UGH!
The subway sucks.
Sure - it took us three times as long to get there and back.
Sure - it cost us only $6.90 for two people for a return trip.
Sure - Ben loved the fun of it all.
But I will have nightmares. The smell the smell the smell. Oh the things I have seen today. I have to say it again - UGH!
Did I save a tree?
I don't have a clue.
Nor at this point do I care.

No comments: