Monday, February 18, 2008

Live throught this and you won't look back

I have a friend that plays me music and before the song starts he'll say "this is my theme song". He says that the song touched him at this point in his life or at that point - that it reminds him of this or that and that it totally encapsulates his feeling about this person or his relationship with that one.
I listen to the songs - and I must admit because I find this particular friend completely enchanting - I really listen. I hear the words and I get his point. I understand how this song IS or WAS his life.
I fully expect each time I see him to hear a tiny invisible iPod pumping out these tunes.
He doesn't just have one theme song - like Spongebob or even "Hail to the Chief" - he has many. And he's totally bang on - each one IS about him.
I don't have this.
In my entire life I've had one song that I could say I believed was truly written for me. It was situational though and completely brought me through the great "gonna die" episode of 2007.
Calendar Girl by Stars

I dreamed I was dying as I so often do
and when I awoke I was sure it was true
I ran to the window
threw my head to the sky
and said whoever is up there
please don't let me die
but I can't live forever
I can't always be
one day i'll be sand on a beach by the sea
the pages keep turning
I mark off each day with a cross
and I'll laugh about all that we've lost

I try to think back to when I was a kid - the music that I listened to created, as I've said here before, a soundtrack and a backdrop to my life. What it never did was touch me.
Not until this past year has music actually touched me.
Just this week my friend of the theme songs said that he found the band that I like the best, BORING. He was worried that this would hurt my feelings....hate the band insult the fan....but it really didn't at all. I mean, I have nothing invested in them - right? They are just a band.
But that right there is a problem. Just a band. Just a song. Just a nice thing to sing along with on the radio.
I want music to touch me. I know that music has the ability to change my mood. And I know from this last year that it has the power to save me as I ride the waves of my own moodiness.
I find myself at a crossroads today, blog people.
I'm a little lost.
I'm a little hurt.
I am being too reckless with my own feelings and too thoughtless with those of others.
I wish I had a theme song - something that was me - to pull me out the other side. I'm thinking maybe of this.....

Spiderman, spiderman
does whatever a spider can......

No comments: