Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Best Room in the House

All day I have been thinking and thinking about my 2008 New Years Resolutions. Even when I didn't have a blog, I still made resolutions. For the most part, I try to stick to my resolutions - check back through the year to see how I'm doing - that kind of thing. But really, for those of you who know me well, you know that I rarely if ever stick to anything. Resolutions are just my way of making myself feel bad about stuff later in the year. So, tits to the wind - guilt away!

1. I will not quit this stupid job until I get another one - and I will not stay in this job cause I kind of hate it.
Sounds simple right? But sometimes I stay in jobs just to prove that I can do it. I prove to myself that no matter how bad it is, I can suffer through it - I will win...But I can't win if it sucks. I'll try not to get fired and I'll try to find something better.
2. I will do the dishes.
Everyday. Whether I want to or not.
Or maybe I should change that to "I will not leave a sink full of putrid dirty dishes when I go to bed". Because at least then I give the illusion that other people could maybe do dishes too.
Now, some of you are thinking - "ugh rutting pig leaving dirty dishes!" and others (and you know who you are) are thinking "I only do dishes when every last available dish including granny's silver is dirty - what's the big deal?". I want to walk that fine middle line with pride.
3. I will move.
Somewhere. Not anywhere. But 2008 is my year to move.
4. I will win the war with chemical addictions.
Not Ecstasy or crystal meth or anything fun.
My next chemical purge is pop.
I can win - its mind over matter. I need to be less chemical-y. Just let carbonation go......
Seriously though - I've done it before - I can do it again.
5. I will stick to this vegetarian thing.
I may try at some point to reduce or eliminate cheese - but lets cross that bridge when we come to it, shall we?
Its been 2 months.
I've rarely if ever done anything for 2 whole months.
And save for a few HUMONGOUS cravings in times of stress for burgers and bloody red pieces of lamb its been temptation free.
Say, if you gave up chocolate - you could be wooed to chocolate quite easily by smell or endorphins. But meat? Not really appealing in the same way.
I can't say its been easy because frankly I have had spotty support. The people who support me - support me a lot and the people who don't are asses about it. Ah well.
6. My body will not betray me.
I won't let it.
2007 sucked (see below) and 2006 wasn't exactly a banner year either.
But 2008? I am in charge now. So there.
7. I will yell less.
Yes. I am a yeller. I have made a conscious effort to stop. I will continue to try to curb this impulse to scream "are you mental?" at my kids. I will also stop yelling these things:
- who peed on the seat?
- shut that f-ing (and I do actually say eff-ing) thing off!
- hurry up!
- who forgot to flush?
- stop hitting your brother!
Bad energy - bad mojo - bad everything.
8. I will write more.
I like it. I really do.
I've been working on stuff and stuff and stuff.
Experimenting with moods and emotions and voices.
I found my voice in 2007 - I hope others find it in 2008.

That's all I've got this year. I'm hoping 2008 is relatively uneventful....
Happy calm new year to all.

No comments: