Monday, July 25, 2011

vroom

I couldn't quite figure out how to re-start my blog after a couple of years of posting elsewhere. Should I legitimize my absence by explaining where my other thoughts have been or should I just ignore it and hit the ground running? I still have blog-thoughts - they just stay shuffled around in my brain and never get out.
Should I start by explaining the weird-weirdness that it is being an unemployed extrovert? I went from essentially talking for a living to talking occasionally, only when spoken to and mainly through social media. I feel like a snake that shed its skin.
If there was one thing about chatting at work that used to make me crazy it was the weekly order of conversation.
Monday and Tuesday were used to chat with people about their past - "How was your weekend?" "How were your holidays?" and Thursday and Friday were used to prep for the future - "Where are you going on vacation?" and "What are you doing this weekend?"
It never varied. And no - Wednesday's weren't silent - there just wasn't the formal structure around it.
*sigh*
I've said before and I will say forever that to the unemployed, everyday is Saturday. Or Monday. Or Friday for that matter.
Cup half full - cup half empty.
Add to that the kids have no summer camp or routine this year and its just a whole mess of weekend.
I spend a lot of time on twitter and facebook, linked in and email. That, to me, has taken the place of talking as human interaction. I hear a lot more opinions than I used to - but I don't really care as much about that anybody has to say. What do I care what Kirstie Alley has to say about Norway? Or Rogert Ebert's thoughts on Amy Winehouse. I don't - but I also probably didn't care what everyone did on their weekends.
I called my friend Doug last night to hear all the juicy details about his sister's wedding. I was genuinely interested in the details - and I loved hearing all about the outfits and the food and even the bugs. But, when I went to fill him in on what's been going on around the Fletcher home - he already knew 90% of it - he reads my facebook updates. That's just weird. I'm talking and he keeps saying "I know...." like he's bored.
Even when I try to talk now, I've got nothing original to say.
What's the solution? Stop using facebook? That's the only place I ever talk to some of the people I know. Stop calling people? I miss, quite honestly, hearing the sound of human voices.
Is there a balance?
Is there ever a balance?

No comments: